What is Twitter Marketing?
Twitter is a popular tool for posting crisp and concise updates, thoughts or comments, also known as “micro-blogs”. Each post on twitter is confined to 140 characters which makes it highly compatible and easy to use on mobile phones.It is also regarded as a hybrid of a chat room and instant messaging since it is an open platform where a restricted lot of people connect with you.
With active users in excess of 316 million, Twitter acts as a great platform for marketers. Its popularity among the youth makes it an even more attractive tool. Also, setting up a page on twitter takes nothing more than fifteen minutes and an internet connection. You can easily find a Twitter handle, fill in the details of your bio, upload a profile photo and start sending tweets. However, evolving your page from just a Twitter account into an effective tool, which builds brand awareness and generates leads, is not so simple.
Increasing followers on Twitter takes a lot more than simply updating followers on new products or upcoming events. It is all about customer engagement. It is important for you to keep your posts as interactive as possible for a greater attention span of readers. Twitter marketing, if done appropriately can be extremely powerful in spreading brand awareness, launching new products and even generating leads. It helps in unlocking new opportunities, particularly for startups and small businesses that are not willing to spend much on advertising. Twitter reaches the global audience efficiently with more than 500 million tweets being posted each day.
Why is marketing through Twitter important?
Irrespective of the type of marketer you are, you can use Twitter to your advantage and build long-lasting meaningful connections comprising of an engaged audience. If you are a young entrepreneur looking to build a brand image, promote new products, generate leads and create awareness of your brand, Twitter could be your blessing in disguise.
Take a look at some of the latest statistics of the figure to understand why it is such a powerful tool for marketing:
- Twitter has 320million active users
- Twitter is home to 1.3 billion accounts
- A total of 500 million people visit Twitter each month
- 80% of the total user’s access Twitter using a mobile phone
- An average user has 208 followers
- 6% of total verified accounts is comprised of journalists
- 83% of leading businessmen are on Twitter
- An average of 6000 Tweets is sent every second
The fact that millions of users send tweets each day speaks volumes of Twitter’s popularity and potential reach for business promotion. Twitter has the power to be an immensely effective marketing tool irrespective of the scale or size of the operations of a company.With an expanding user base, Twitter has been recognized by marketers as an ideal platform for hunting potential customers. Niche market business and local entrepreneurs are deriving maximum benefits from the social media platform.
Given below are 10 reasons why Twitter can change the face of your business:
- Twitter has a massive reach and thus has the potential to spread awareness about your brand and its products with just a click of a button. You can use Twitter to inform people about ongoing promotional offers and discounts.
- Twitter not only aids getting new customers on board but also helps a company interact with and update existing customers.
- Brand perception in the market can be understood better using Twitter. Read on for details.
- Marketing using Twitter also costs very less as compared to other forms of marketing.
- Interactive posts on Twitter promote customer engagement.
- Lead generation can be done using Twitter. Read on to find out how!
- Advertising through Twitter ensure that information reaches the masses much faster than advertising through traditional methods.
- You can use Twitter to inform people about ongoing promotional offers and discounts.
- Customer Feedback can be gathered using Twitter which in turn can prove to be instrumental in improving existing products and services.
- Twitter can be used as a single platform to reach out to all stakeholders including customers, employees, vendors etc.
How to do Twitter Marketing
Now that you know that Twitter can do wonders to boost your business, let’s try and figure out how to go about it. Take care of the below mentioned simple steps and you should be good to go:
- Choose an Appropriate Twitter Handle
Use your business name or a creative variation of it as your Username.
- Create a brand-specific profile
Your profile includes an avatar, bio and cover images. When combined, they should narrate a tale of your brand at a glance. Select the visual elements that represent your brand in the best way.
- Stay attentive
- Keep your posts interactive
Reply to any tweets related to your business as quickly as possible. Thank the ones who praise you and respond to critical reviews respectfully.
- Tweet regularly
There is no ideal number pertaining to the number of tweets per day. But be regular with posting your tweets. Start with once a day and then use tools like Twitalyzer to test ideal posting frequencies.
- Keep it short and simple
Even though Twitter permits you to write a total of 140 characters, it is in your best interest to leave about 15-20 characters for people who may wish to retweet your post or add content.
- Follow a content calendar
Allocate specific days for specific types of posts, so that users know what to expect on any given day. For example, keep Mondays for posting about products, Tuesdays for sharing promotional offers and discounts and so on.
- Find Influencers
- Share Media mentions
Let your followers know each time your brand is mentioned in the media.A practice helps attract more journalists to your brand.
- Use Hashtags
Hashtags help in characterizing your content for a specific keyword.Since the concept of hashtags was started by Twitter, make sure you make good use of them.However, do not burden your posts with greater than 3 hashtags.
Latest posts by Piyuesh Modi (see all)
- InfluencerSpeaks#2 Interview with Ritika Mehra - July 4, 2018
- InfluencersSpeaks#3 Interview with Atamjeet Singh Bawa - July 3, 2018
- InfluencersSpeaks#1 Interview with Kalyan Karmakar - July 2, 2018